Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Rudy Kalis Talk at Expo



Rudy Kalis is the Sports Director for WSMV Channel 4. He spoke on the topic of Facing Your Fears; the Challenges We All Face.

Why am I running? Sure I do it for my health, but what is the real challenge. "What makes you DO it...or do you NOT do it?" Rudy asked us.

Rudy immigrated from Germany at age 5. He struggled in school, flunked out, and was not a natural athlete. He went on to become a highly renowned sports reporter; he has sky-dived; he was driving a race car at the Tennessee Speedway when it crashed, causing him 150 stitches in his head; and he had ACL surgery under local anesthetic.

"No one ever said 'Good job Rudy' to me." Now he interviews NFL players, 75% of whom grew up without a male father figure. The best of the best athletes are constantly trying to prove something to themselves.

"We spend our life trying to prove someone right, or wrong....I'm not a hero...I'm trying to find out if I'm a coward!"

Find your path. It's hard. Those first one-two-three lbs you need to lose. But then it will become easier, and it becomes a way of life. Then once you do it, lead quietly by example.

Thanks Rudy.

No comments:

Post a Comment