Monday, December 21, 2009

Ironman Crawl

This is the infamous 1982 Julie Moss video. If you do triathlons today you can probably thank Julie Moss for it. The first Hawaii Ironman occurred in 1979, but it was ABC's Wide World of Sports that captured the dramatic women's finish. To this day, many of the first wave of triathletes attribute this telecast for inspiring them to start the sport.




As a 23 year old in my first year of triathlon, this duel was broadcast during the Hawaii Ironman that year. The footage interspersed the Julie Moss finish and the Sian Welch - Wendy Ingram from the current year's edition. Very inspiring.




I don't recommend ever depleting yourself to the point where you can no longer stand up or control bodily processes. I'm pretty sure it is bad for your health. But the tenacity these women display sure is admirable. Ironically the only time I have ever found myself crawling on my hands and knees, stomach heaving, was at the 18 mile mark of the 2003 Hawaii Ironman. I walked the rest of the way to the finish.


No comments:

Post a Comment