Thursday, December 3, 2009

30 Seconds to Fixies to Pre

Okay I have been taking a few tangents lately. This is supposed to be a coaching blog. If you want to read post after post about nerdy training stuff that is fine. But me, I like to catch an inspirational video now and then to pump me up and go train hard.

This is a video by the band 30 Seconds to Mars. Patience....it takes a minute to get rocking but it is worth it. (If the HD version here is to slow, try it here....I hate slow streaming.)


Thirty Seconds To Mars - Kings + Queens - HD

30 Seconds to Mars | MySpace Music Videos



My my, this fixed gear urban bicycle thing sure has taken off lately. Bike Snob NYC is starting to take over slowtwitch.com as my favorite time waster. Anyway, the lead singer in this band is Jared Leto. An interesting tangent is that he played Steve Prefontaine in the movie Without limits. Here is another one of his songs with a montage from the movie.





Personally I liked the first video better. The song is better and I found it more entertaining to watch the fixed gear bikes. I know it is heresy to doubt Pre. I mean, he sure is on a lot of Nike posters and faux vintage track suits. He was well known for his aggressive, take-no-prisoners racing style. Unfortunately, whenever I think of Pre all I can think of is the 1972 Olympics where he got 4th place when he failed to execute a 4th quarter smackdown.




It may be sad that he got 4th place. But do you think perhaps he wouldn't have lost it in the last 10 meters if he hadn't led the whole way? When you are racing, race smart not just hard. Don't take off and "let the demons control your pace." If you care about the finish result use a smart strategy.

Actually it isn't sad that he got 4th place. The sad thing is that he never got a chance to learn from his mistakes, and win an Olympic gold. RIP, Pre.

No comments:

Post a Comment