Tuesday, August 31, 2010

An Important Skill, and Very Tall Socks

In this picture I am at the ribbon cutting for the new world headquarters of Swiftwick.  You will notice I am in the front row, next to the owner of of the company Mark Cleveland.  Although it would be nice to think I am front-row-for-a-ribbon-cutting material, it took timing and skill to get to that spot. 

Although I was the first sponsored athlete for Swiftwick under the current ownership, the reason I am in that position is a secret called the last-second-slip-in.  If you want to be on the front row of a running race, don't come up from the back.  Jog around warm up out in front of the starting line.  Right before the gun goes off, slide right in there.  Act like you belong there, and everyone will assume you do. 


Photo: Swiftwick ribbon cutting.  Welcome to Brentwood!

It is a well-known fact that I am a fan of the Swiftwick company.  As an sponsored athlete, I encouraged Swiftwick to produce the tall compression socks.  Yes, I am slightly embarrased to have contributed to this fashion trend.  I tested an early pair running the now defunct Greenways Marathon in Nashville. 

Photo: Start line of the Greenways Marathon, wearing prototype White 12" Olefins, having just executed the last-second-slip-in to the front row starting line.

Slipping into the front row at the starts help you begin with good position, but it is even more important to be in the front at the end of the race.  Here I am at the podium of Ceddars of Lebanon Triathlon (first overall) wearing the TOA Team custom Swiftwick socks.  These socks are even more embarrasing than the single color, because they are white argyles on red with a huge ST logo on the achilles.


Photo: Sean Torr, John Lines, and Coach Stephen at Cedars

Then the next day I was up cheering at Ironman Louisville. Let's all just admit this fact: The current tall-socks-with-running shorts is horribly embarrasing. If our dads went to a church potluck picnic, we would have been embarrased.  But triathletes (of all shapes and sizes) don't think twice parading around an expo with tanned legs and knee-highs. 



However I think I pull the look off better than most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment