Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Chattanooga Trail Running Camp August 20-21


Some of my clients told me they wanted to do an endurance camp. Ideas were batted around, road...tri...running....trail running...Stump Jump 50K training.  I found myself riding in the back of a Cadillac Escalade at 70 mph going east on I-24.  To Chattanooga.

Far left in this picture is Amy.  She wrote up a funny, painful review of this trail run, stating, .
in the course of four hours, you have suffered every. single. runner’s ultimate nightmare…on the same night….for the first time in your life (on all counts, from dark night run to dookie in the woods to falling twice mid-stride to debilitating cramps to vomiting en route)…


Keep reading click below:




These guys and gals are training for a half ironman, a 50K trail run, the Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim...or all three. 

Photo: Ever feel like you are running on the moon?

First adventure was Raccoon Mountain.  This is an awesome 17 mile loop with varied terrain that goes around the top of a mountain.  Thanks to the mountain bikers who built the place. 


Eating up some miles.


Warm Fuzzy: Picture with the group running on Friday.
Clockwise from top: Joleyn, Amy, David, Coach Steve, Becky, and Kevin.

Raccoon Mountain contains a giant hydroelectric plant high above this river.


From a scenic overlook, multi-tasking Becky was a) stretching, b) enjoying the view, c) trying to offer David food.


But I already have some!, he replied.


This picture is from the second day, when we ran 15 miles worth of the Stump Jump course.  This portion was past Suck Creek Road on the way up to the Indian Rock House.  "Ouch!  These hornets are stinging me!

Appropriately titled Mushroom Rock.


Kevin was telling us how big was the one the one that got away. 



Some of the Saturday runners at another scenic overlook.  From left: David, Frank, Becky, Kevin.

The coach, taking a moment's rest before another big climb.

As Amy put it in her write-up:
I made four new friends who cheered me on despite the insanity; bonded with coach; and learned some incredible lessons about my body, its needs, and its limits, and that even so, I am able to finish. Maybe not strong, but certainly with my hands in the air, a shrug on my shoulders, and a huge smile on my face at its utter absurdity, and the entertainment it undoubtedly provides for others.
Last night, I more than survived: I lived.
I am a runner.


This was only about Franks second or third trail run.  He got stung by 3 hornets and went away with a bad case of poison ivy on his legs and, um, other places.  "You guys said I would like trail running!"

Note the folding knife on his CamelBak strap.  "I don't ever go into the woods without a knife."  Trail running is a lot of fun; oftentimes it is very memorable or even insanity like this run.  Becky did her two longest runs, both within a 20 hour time period.  The best thing to do is go with some good friends (or new ones,) keep an open mind, and take care of yourself.



Here are some things that may inspire you or help you to trail run:




1 comment:

  1. looks like everyone was having a great time there..pictures cant lie...running camp is one of the things im planning to do soon..

    keens

    ReplyDelete