Friday, June 25, 2010

Coaches Who Lead

Jonathan just finished the San Diego Marathon. He is a coach for Team in Training and he coached a team of runners to prepare for the race, and ran with each one of the on race day.  All in all, but the end of the day he had run 34 miles and crossed the finish line 5 times to run some with each of his athletes. 

Jonathan with one of his athletes Carol.
  
Of Jonathan, Carol writes: "I can't believe we are finished with our training, fundraising and the San Diego race! You were and are an inspiration to me and I so appreciated all of your help and motivation."

Jonathan with two of his satisfied finishers.

Jonathan wrote to me after the race:  I have been coaching for TNT for four years; I have coached two Country music marathon teams, two San Diego teams and one Phoenix team. Even though I have been certified through TNT’s certification training, I often feel inadequate; I want to give the people that I work with the best instructions and coaching possible. When I first started training in the martial arts, I had instructors that were fat and out of shape; then, I got an instructor that was fit, competent and most impressive; that is the kind of coach that I want to be; that people will look at me and be inspired. This is how I see you; you are such an impressive coach with all of your knowledge and your fitness, and you inspire people so well. This is why I kept coming to your class, because I knew that I could learn so much from you, and I have. My people were so inspired that I ran with them, even if it was for only a few miles with each of them. This is the second marathon that I have run more than thirty miles. Thanks Jonathan.  You inspire me too.

This caused me to think about the individuals that have served as both guides and models for my own training.  I had some a couple very influential coaches in high school and college.  Then there were some very people that were very helpful developing my swimming, including a University of Iowa named Bogdan, and Ashley Whitney from Excel.
In cycling, the ageless enigma named Johnny Pryor was instrumental in helping me get faster at short course tri.  He explained to me the importance of high intensity intervals to get faster at sprint and olympic distance tri.  He is also a model of good nutrition, mindful living, and eternal youth.

And then there's this guy.  Jamie Dial is one of the few people I can turn to for advice on running.  He introduced me to the notion of running on trails at night, and patiently mentored me into the sport of ultramarathon.  The knowledge, insight, and experiences that Jamie has shared with me have been amazing, and have enabled me to achieve at a high level there.  He continues to advise me in preparation for my upcoming VT100 trail race.

All the above people have helped shape me into the athlete I am today.  Thank you Lou Schafer, Wags, Steve Johnson, Bogdan, Ashley, Johnny, and Jamie!  But I wouldn't have had the mindset and potential to benefit from the coaching of each of these people if it weren't for the influence of THE FERGUS.

 The Fergus, after finishing he finished a half marathon.

Yes, my father Fergus told me one thing that stuck with me.  It doesn't how you do as long as you do your best.  What I didn't realize is how hard you have to work to see what your best is.  But the unconditional support, traveling to watch my races, and post-race dinners must have done something.

THANKS DAD!!! 
HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment