Sunday, January 11, 2009

Swiftwick Socks Overview

Swiftwick Socks Overview
www.swiftwick.com

1) 12's: These are very good for recovery and when you are doing a lot of standing. I wore them in the Greenways Marathon (which I won) and in some training runs. I regret that I can't say I like the feel of them when actually racing. They are great much of the rest of the time but feel a little too hot while racing in the summer. At the same turn I noticed that half the field at Hawaii Ironman had them on.

For major style points I like the white 12, but you have to wear them with attitude.

I recommend the 12's to all of my fitness personal training clients who have poor circulation in their lower legs (e.g., diabetes.) These are also great for people with lower leg injuries who need a little extra support around the calf and ankle. My girlfriend badly rolled her ankle and has been wearing all my S/M 4" socks.

Photo: Experiment racing in the 12's at Nashville Greenways Marathon.

2) Zeros: The ultimate fashion sock. Look like you could care less about stinky feet and are walking around sockless...but surprise! You have zero-inch cuff Swiftwicks on under those designer sneaks.

3) Merinos: This is the only sock I will wear for trail running. The friction of trail running requires extra padding, and this sock gives it. Generally the 1" is better as it is a little lighter than the taller 4". Also a little warmer so good for cycling in colder weather.

4) Olefin: The sock of choice for road running or cycling. Again I like the 1" for running and the 4" for cycling. I wear all colors it just depends on what else I am wearing that day, but the 4" white socks are very striking and cool looking. Probably 1/2 of the cyclists at the Clarksville Century were wearing Swiftwick, and these guys were averaging 27.5 miles per hour.

I would NOT recommend Olefins for trail running, particularly an ultra. They are too thin and don't offer enough protection from blisters.

Photo: I'm sporting 4" white Olefins at Triathlon World Championships.

5) Casual/work. Honestly I wear any and all of these socks while I am casual or training clients. I just coordinate with which ever shoes I am wearing and what color my outfit is.

Whatever activity you have that day, there is a Swiftwick sock for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment