Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Goals and Means

"What are your goals for this year?"

If I am coaching you then I am going to ask that question. First we start with the "A" race, the most challenging or meaningful race. Then we plan out the rest of the racing schedule. Next we design a training program, obtain the necessary gear, and get things organized so you can start training.

But this is not me asking you. In this case someone is asking me--and I have no racing goal right now. Does it surprise you to hear a coach say that? I have raced a lot and have met most of my career goals, others slipped away, but that is not what gets me really fired up at this moment. My goal right now is bigger than any one race or season. It has little to do with me....

My goal is to help you meet your goals...

...and here is the plan, strategy, and implementation:

My vision is a community of athletes who are wildly successful by their own standards: iron distance triathletes, competitive short course racers, and beginner triathletes. Runners, cyclists, and fitness people. If you just want to finish a race and have fun, I won't try to turn you into an ironman. You should experience the joys of reaching your own meaningful goals---and getting in the most amazing fitness you have ever experienced.


Picture: Mary on the podium for winning her division at McMinnville Triathlon

The operant concept in this program is that we reach goals as a community. As a coach for 8 years, triathlete for 10 years and a runner for 20, I have a pretty good idea how to help you reach your goals. But my knowledge is just one variable in this equation. When your training group peers push and challenge you, you will go farther. I am not so brash as to think I know all the answers, but together we will succeed.


Picture: Swim workout at Vanderbilt Triathlon Winter Boot Camp.

As powerful as a group may be, leaders enhance the effort. As a professional coach I am familiar with the mistakes, pitfalls, and errors in endurance training. I've also seen what works--and believe me, I want to see you succeed--so I will give you every bit of help I can to get you there. I also utilize mentor coaches who are experienced leader participants. They participate in the program but they also take on an extra mentoring role.

When you join this community you get the total package. I don't want to cut any corners or miss any components in the plan. That is why I "throw in the kitchen sink" for 99.00/month. You get your choice of 5 training plans. Pick the one that is best fits your own abilities, goals, and schedule. I will help you customize it so it is perfect for you. I currently offer 8 training sessions per week and you can attend as many as you want. When the racing season starts I will be at as many of your races as possible, for race-day coaching.

As one coach I cannot pilot all this myself; that is why I have a powerful network I collaborate with. The Wellness Center at Baptist is my primary coaching venue because it has everything we need: pool, strength, indoor track, space for bikes, locker rooms, and it is centrally located. They now handle all registration in a simple and efficient manner.


Photo: At the finish line of Great Floridian Iron Distance.

Our network includes everything you needs to succeed: Team Magic Races, Acme Multisports, Swiftwick Socks, Fitnesswave, Team Nashville, Rachel Sarah Jayne Massage, DeSoto Sport, Univera, and Triathlon DVD. I go to bat for you with these retailers and I make sure you get exactly what you need. Most of them provide discounts, extra service, and perks to those in our community. These people are the best in the area at what they do, or I would not associate with them in this way.


Picture: "El Gato" after his first half iron race at Atomic Man.

You and your success are my goal. As your coach I am "on call" for you. You can text, call, or e-mail me and I will get back to you asap. This is not easy to do when I am training for a race but right now this training community IS my goal. If you are reading this then you may be part of a wider community--do you receive Friday Fitness Fax? Do you attend Team Magic races? Consider taking the next step and join STtrainer training groups.

I don't see how some people--coaches and athletes--race so much. Year after year they are like a hamster on a wheel racing, racing, racing. I would not recommend that to my athletes, and that is not me. This year I am going to get married, be more community minded, and invest myself more in spiritual development. I'll stay fit enough to do all the workouts I assign to you so when the fire hits me I will be ready to race again. And I'm going to be the best damn coach that I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment