Friday, January 28, 2011

Reversing diabetes

A great article on CNN.com, which is one of my favorite on-line news sites these days.

I have some personal experience with this because my mother has had Type II diabetes her entire life, and my father (The Fergus) has just recently been diagnosed.  Whereas my mother's situation has been long term and chronic, my father has been able to make a significant change in his health. 

"The side effects of the medication are really unpleasant," he tells me.  I actually see better results if I watch what I eat and exercise. This comes from a man who did not exercise during his adult life, until the last 5 years.  Since then he has began began exercising, made moderate dietary changes, and has participated in running races ranging from 5K to marathon.

Articles like the one linked above, and my dad's experience are really encouraging.  But it makes me wonder.  What is the message that is being communicated to people who are diagnosed with this disease?  Do physicians make the effort to really convey the importance of lifestyle change?  Or is it easier (and more profitable) to prescribe the medication?  And are clients being referred to resources that can help them make the changes, such as a wellness center or personal trainer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment