Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Boot Camp Mayhem; Instructor Personalities

I had a good friend from church recently approach me about teaching a boot camp.  She gets together with about 20 friends 2 x per week to do a boot camp workout.  She described her disappointment when the boot camp instructor called one of the women a "F-up" for showing up late.  It seemed this was part of a small but persistent pattern of disrespectful and negative leadership style.


Perhaps it is due to the biggest looser, Boot Camp DVD's, or a distorted perception on behalf of consumers of what should happen at a boot camp. Perhaps some instructors were subjected to abusive or negative leadership themselves, or they get off on a power trip.

There is no excuse for calling someone a F-up.  There is no excuse for being mean spirited or belittling someone no matter what their performance or effort.

I suspect I have been misconstrued in the past and her someones feelings.  But I am certain of one thing: I respect and dignify every client I work with.  I want to be positive, supportive, and appropriately challenging.  If your boot camp instructor makes you feel bad, fire him or her.


No comments:

Post a Comment