Monday, December 13, 2010

Ironman (Part 2 of 3): The Tattoo, Sticker, and Corporation

When I first got into the sport of triathlon, I asked a mentor, "Why do they call us tri-geeks?"  I will never forget her response. She said, "Let's see, because you go for a run in the morning, you swim at lunch, and you go for a bike ride after work."  The first triathlon club I ever belonged to was Columbia Multisport Club, five time national club champion in the largest division (beating among others L.A. Tri.  They had--and continue to have to this day--a very popular listserv called "trigeeks@columbiamultisport.com."


Have you ever heard the expression, "I did it for the T-shirt?" It seems backwards that someone would do a race so that they can wear a t-shirt to let others know they did a race.  What about enjoying the race itself?  Doing it for the sense of achievement or fun?  Well Ironman Triathletes tend to take it one step farther.  They are not satisfied just "wearing the shirt."

We aren't called tri-geeks because we exercise a lot.  It is because triathletes vainly display the M-Dot tattoo. (The below pictures of M-Dot tattoos are interspersed with quotes from an actual discussion forum thread about getting M-Dot tattoos...quotes do not correspond to the pictures.)
"I say hell yeah!  So what it's not Kona earned?!?!  It's still a friggin' ironman and that is AWESOME!!


 "For those of you that have IM tattoo's- Did you get it right after the race or did you wait a while? Can anyone recommend a good tattoo parlor in Panama City? I'm planning on getting one after IMFL.
"Does it matter if you are sunburned? I'm planning on getting mine around my right shoulder blade. Basically where it will only be seen if I'm swimming or in a jog bra.


"I will probably wait until I get home. The long drive home will be hard enough on my legs without having a new tattoo on my back! I'm planning on getting my inside my shoulder blade. It won't be covered by a bra strap, jog bra or swimsuit. We're going to try out a temporary M Dot tattoo on first. After looking at the prices of  M Dot jewelry, Hubby told me to get a tattoo instead!


"This may be extreme, but I actually got mine 30 minutes after I crossed the line at IMAZ and got back in time to root on the last finishers...I wanted to get the tattoo where I raced and I was leaving Tempe early the next morning.  I called ahead and scheduled an appointment, based on my moderate goal finish time...


"I printed out an ironman logo, and the tattoo guy resized it with a copying machine. Freehand drawing doesn't sound like a good idea, since there's a circle involved and stuff.

Even thought I am not worthy of sporting an IM tat yet, it would be nice to have a copy saved for the big day. Only have done 1/2 IM, Timberman . In the process of signing up for the new 101 series in Bradenton, Fla. in may. 1.8 mi. swim, 80mi. bike and a 18 mi. run. Do they make a 1/2 IM or 3/4 IM tattoo? lol Could you please send me a copy? Hope to do IMFL in 08. Should I get the tattoo on my leg or my back? Thanks for the help.


My commentary:
And this one is a variation since she did a "non-WTC iron distance" at Beach 2 Battleship.  Getting an Ironman tattoo is like getting a Nike Swoosh tattoo or a McDonald's Arches tattoo.  Getting a 140.6 tattoo is like getting a tattoo that says "sports apparel" or "hamburgers."

I understand what an epic and profound experience doing an iron distance triathlon is; I've done eight.  I've won a 140.6 tri and gotten 3rd in two others, and been to Kona.  My criticism specifically is the need people have to advertise their achievements with the M-Dot tattoo. It is like someone who has to cover the back of their car with stickers advertising every racing distance they have done, providing irrefutable evidence that "I am a Tri Geek." 




Part of the issue I have with the M-Dot logo, brand, and the WTC is that corporately, Ironman has become an overly commercialized corporate entity.  The sport/brand/corporation of Ironman is owned by a company named Providence Equity Partners.  This company views the sport of triathlon and for that matter the spirit of Ironman as little more than a flippable commodity.  And if flipping this commodity is it's business, then business is good.

The WTC has engaged in an aggressive expansion including the popular "Ironman 70.3" distance with at least 34 races, and in 2011 a nationwide series of olympic distance triathlons called 5150.  I won't say that this business expansion is itself a bad thing, it's just that the entire sport is becoming dominated by one particular brand.  Well, actually two brands.  The other giant is Falconhead Equity aka Competitor Group, which owns Triathlete, Inside Triathon, VeloNews, Muddy Buddy, and the entire Rock n Roll Marathon series.

When those 12 guys and 3 gals lined up on the beach for the very first Iron Man Triathlon in 1978, they would have never imagined what a corporate mega-entity of pre-packaged experience, magazines, and lifestyle accessories their little experiment would become.  Before you get your Ironman Tattoo, consider "Do I want to advertise for this company?"

And consider...How the rest of the world views Ironman triathletes.   Perhaps Ironman Triathlon has "jumped the shark." (Part 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment