Thursday, September 2, 2010

"The First Shall Be Last, and The Last Shall Be First"

The first shall be last, and the last shall be first...

I think this is ancient wisdom written somewhere, and I definitely believe it to be true.  On Tuesday I was pleasantly surprised to have a message from Cindee.  She introduced herself and said that she had completed her first triathlon at Cedars of Lebanon (finishing in last place.)  Her husband saw me racing (I won overall) and was impressed, so she wanted to meet me and learn from my coaching.  I am humbled. 

Photo: Cindee and Coach Steve after her first running lesson.  "I don't enjoy running," she explained, "but I am learning to."  Cindee's running program consists of a 3-2 walk/run interval, and finding similar pace running partners.

First of all, I think it is a hugely brave risk to begin training for endurance sports when you have not been active to that level.  Moreover Cindee, finishing in last place, came away from her first race with a enthusiastic, positive attitude.  She had fun, she felt great, she wants more.  Awesome. 

I have coached a number of beginning triathletes who have finished in last place over the years, and I am always in great admiration for the effort they display.  I was done with Cedars in a little over an hour, whereas Cindee finished in just under three.  That is a big deal in my book, and I have more respect for her finish than mine. 

I think it is appropriate that Cindee's last name is Gold.  I look forward to future running lessons with her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment