Friday, July 30, 2010

The Fruititarian

One thing that I have discovered over the years is that there is always someone better than you. Back when I was a kid--high school and college--this was an easy lesson because I was a very medicore runner for years. Then around age 25 I started to find my strength in triathlon and became somewhat accustomed to winning and having great accomplishments. But even in my strongest years, someone would come along and so thoroughly smoke me that it caused me to remember my place in the universe.
2 weeks ago I finished my first 100 mile run. (Race report here if you missed it.) This impressed other people more than me. It was hard and I am happy for my accomplishment, but I am more aware than most that there are people like the Fruititarian in the world:


Pardon the expression, but this guy is a complete animal.  He runs 180-200 mile training weeks.  He ran 100 miles for his taper week before the Vermont 100.  And all he eats is raw fruits and vegetables. 
  
Photo: My sister Lisa, displaying a normal person's reaction to the Fruititarian.


Photo: The Fruititarian, fueling with cantelope at mile 56.

In all seriousness, this guy is a huge stud.  Moreover, he is demonstrating something that athletes and normal people alike need to remember, and that is the importance of eating fruits and vegetables.  He is showing you can LIVE on these as sustenance. 

Read more about the Fruititarian here, and read his Vermont 100 Mile race report here.

PS--He ran up Mount Washington the day after the Vermont 100 Mile race.

No comments:

Post a Comment