Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Columbia Mobex Backpack: A review

I received this backpack after recently winning the Nashville edition of the Muddy Buddy. Is is called the Columbia Mobex.  I was particularly attracted to this pack because it looks like a dome tent. So with a little begging finally Cadence from the Columbia booth agreed to comp me one. 

Upon inspection there were several significant features that attracted me to this pack. The top feature is that it holds a 100 oz hydration bladder, so I knew I could use this pack on some long training runs for my 100 miler and Grand Canyon R2R2R.  On the waist strap there is room for another water bottle, and a pouch to carry a generous amount of easy-to-reach items. 


And I haven't even touched on the HUGE amount of cargo space inside the pack. I will take this pack when I do a November Grand Canyon Run, which will require the ability to carry a lot of food and emergency supplies.  I have not filled this pack very full yet because my recent runs have been in very hot conditions, and it was very light, weightless, and comfortable on my back. 


After a HOT 22 miler.

The pack had all the adjustability needed in such a pack including sternum strap, waist strap, and comfortable distribution of surface contact area.

On a 35 mile night run.

All in all I am extremely pleased with this pack.  It appears that it will be an upgrade and replacement from the Camelbak Mule that I have been using for about 5 years for the same type of long/extreme adventure runs.


I also wanted to throw a plug in for my my friend Nate who has started a t-shirt and running apparel company called Pegasus.  He sent me some samples where are extremely comfortable organic cotton, and I love the retro styling of the logo.  As soon as I get more information on availability I will post it here.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment