Sunday, April 25, 2010

In Defense of Pool Swim Triathlons

Triathlon consists of Swim-Bike-Run.  Traditionally the swim portion of a triathlon takes place in an open water body, such as a lake, river, or ocean.  But with the increasing number of triathlons, the swim often takes place in a swimming pool.  Swimming pool triathlons are a a viable race format because 1) They allow for beginners and novices to gain experience in the sport, and 2) They still allow for elite-level racing.

Early in my triathlon career (~1999-2003) I raced every year at the Race for Sight in Columbia, MO.  This race was the season-opener in the Midwest.  It was particularly unique in that it drew both a large number of beginners, as well as an elite field.  As a rising elite amateur, I looked forward to getting my butt handed to me at that race every year.


In several tries the best result I had gotten there was 6th place.  One year I got 6th place at that race, then won the next 5 races in a row, cinching the Heart of America Triathlon Series in Iowa.  The best result I ever got was in 2004, when I finished 3rd place.  First place that day was TJ Tollakson, 2nd place was Ric Rosenkranz, and 4th place was Willie Pickard.

The now defunct Race for Sight has been replaced by Columbia Missouri's TriZou Triathlon.  Two things have stayed the same.  1) It is a great season opener for beginners and novices, and 2) the elite field is no less impressive than before.  In fact, the 2009 edition of this race saw Andrew Starykowicz, Simon Lessing (yes, THAT Simon Lessing), Andy Pele, Ted Zderic, and Chris Vander Linden sweeping the top places.

In Tennessee, the season opener used to be the JCC Triathlon on Memorial Day.  This was a great triathlon that launched hundreds of triathlon careers.

It too has been replaced, by McMinnville City Triathlon on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.  The Memorial weekend date remains a fantastic race for beginners, but also a viable short-and-fast race for competitive triathletes looking to hone their speed.  I raced (and won) McMinnville Tri as a sharpening race last year and I can say that it is very-organized and fun.  The race is well-supported by the City of McMinnville and Team Magic. 

Photo: Terry and Beth are getting ready for the race.  They are novice triathletes and gained valuable experience at this race in 2009.


Photo: I was first overall in 2009 and Tiago Barerra, my team mate on ACME Multisports, finished right on my heels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment