Sunday, March 7, 2010

Location, location, location.

When I advise someone on starting an exercise program--whether for endurance training or general wellness exercise--one of the first questions I ask is, Where do you live and work? This simple fact is that an exercise program will be easier to participate in it is conveniently located.

I have deliberately chosen a location that is central to all of Nashville for my training programs. At first blush a hospital is a curious place to do triathlon training; aren't we trying to avoid hospitals by exercising? But the Wellness Center at Baptist Hospital has everything I need to do my coaching: strength/stretch facilities, indoor track, swimming pool, convenient parking, and many other amenities. Best of all, they work with me to keep admissions and registration reasonably priced.

As home base, central Nashville makes it easy to access several other areas that are good for outdoor swimming, cycling, and running. My Contact/Maps Page shows the location to the Wellness Center, along with many other venues we use for workouts.

What if you don't live or work in mid town Nashville? My clients drive in from all parts of Nashville--even from two hours away--but here are some other options I recommend looking into:

North Side:
If you live/work on the North Side you should look into Hendersonville Endurance Athletic Team (HEAT.) They seem to be mostly based out of YMCA up there, and they are also closely tied to an excellent retailer ACME Multisports, who also holds bike rides and runs from their store.

East Side:
I unfortunately have not been to one of these runs yet, but the whole East Nasty Runners thing seems to have gone viral by now. If you live on that side of the river, check them out.

South Side:
There are a lot of options for personal training and coaching on the south side, but not as venerable and awesome as Excel Swimming. If you need to work on your swimming and you live in the southern suburbs of Nashville then definitely check out Excel swimming.

Why would I advertise these other clubs and coaching programs? Well not everyone can come to the West End/Centennial side of town to train. Even though I offer swimming, cycling, and running, there are many great programs in town. Good luck finding one that fits your style, interests, and location.

No comments:

Post a Comment