Monday, March 1, 2010

Bike Fitting--A World of Difference

Walter H. writes:

My bike feels like a new bike. The store I purchased it from put me on a computer and took measurments. You just looked at me on the bike and made miracles happen!



I examine everything in your bike fit from the fingertips on back. I require 2 hours for a thorough bike fit because I want to take the time to analyze the minutae of how you ride.


The height, fore-aft, tilt of your saddle...it all interacts with how you ride. Do you want to be more comfortable, powerful, and aero? You can be.
These successful outcomes are a result of my methodology. First, I do not adhere to how you are "supposed" to fit your bike. I don't even use a goniometer, which is a device that measures body angles. I take feedback from what FEELS right to you. That is the best guide, because it is your taint on there on the bike, not mine. Second, I do my bike fittings on a Computrainer. This allows us to detect very subtle increases in power output as we converge on YOUR PERFECT FIT.

Bob W--currently training for Ironman New Orleans 70.3--writes:
I am still relatively new to triathlons, and cycling in general. I was fitted at the bike store 2 years ago when I first bought my bike, and then put on the Aero Bars by myself.

As a newbie I just assumed numbness in the crotch and inside hamstring pain was part of the norm - "I didn't know better" - my longest ride was last week and I was going to do a transition into the run. I couldn't! My legs were in too much pain. That is why I called you for a bike fit. Thank God -

Coach Taylor raised my seat up 2 INCHES! - I could already tell a difference, then he angled it forward and scooted it back. I never knew it was possible to ride without some sort of pain or numbness! I have been so appreciative of the guidance so far in my training. But now I can feel my legs and crotch, and that feeling isn't PAIN! I am thrilled! Thanks again! I am glad I asked!

Bob
Note: Bob subsequently rode 40 miles outside, and did not feel ANY pain.

Photo: It is incredible what a difference a few small changes can make in your comfort on the bike. Here is a picture of Bob's saddle, tilted slightly nose-down.

No comments:

Post a Comment