Thursday, November 26, 2009

Turkey Day in the ATL

On Thanksgiving day I was in Atlanta with Susan's family. Susan wanted to run the Atlanta Half Marathon so I was the cheering patrol / driver / photographer.


Photo: There were about 10,000 people in the race. It was interesting to watch how the logistics of a large-scale half marathon is organized. This was a very well-run race put on by the Atlanta Track Club.



Photo: I especially liked the chain link fence that sequestered the runners. I was wishing that I had a long pointy stick so I could taunt them like I do the bears in the cage at the zoo. Since I had no such pointy stick, I mixed up another mug of my special coffee and watched the 10,000 runners take off.



Photo: The race ended by where the 1996 Olympics were in Atlanta. A plaque on the pedastel reads: "LIFE PROVIDES FEW GRAND MOMENTS FOR CELEBRATING THE REMARKABLE RANGE AND PLEASURE OF HUMAN TALENT."

Photo: A Thanksgiving run is all about running like you are not a turkey, then eating some later.


Photo: Susan's brother Michael ran comfortably sub 1:30, and he was sporting an ACME MULTISPORT shirt.

Photo: Susan learned an important lesson: If you are going home to family and you are running a race, then you need to eat correct pre-race food. I have made this mistake before. BBQ is not pre-race food.


Photo: But she still looked cute at the end.

Photo: My job was to cheer loudly for all the runners. My special coffee helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment