Sunday, October 4, 2009

Run Training Group

Here is a write-up by Barry P from a Saturday long run workout. We are getting the group ready for the Nashville Half Marathon.

Barry P writes:
Today I ran the 5.5 loop twice that Stephen Taylor planned out for the IRFTP runners. It was an absolute blast. The weather is the perfect temperature for running and the folks who ran with me were real awesome and supportive. We were over 9 miles into the run before we split up for the finish. I was impressed we stayed together that long! Our total time was about1 hour 40 for the 11 miles. Which averages slighty over a 9 minute mile.

I learned a lot of valuable lessons this morning…

1. I need to start using Goo for the long runs. (It helps! Thank you Stephen for sharing yours.)

2. I learned that chaffing sucks. I am going to buy biker shorts before Mondays run and pray that my tender thighs heal quickly as I am in a lot of pain this evening.

3. I learned that although it’s good to have something to drink in the beginning and end of the run, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have something in the middle of the run either. (Thanks again to Stephen for supplying the runners with his treasure hunt for Gatorade in the middle of the course. LOL)

4. I learned for long runs that some sort of food supply is smart in the middle of the run. I didn’t eat anything other than the goo, but I was the only one who didn’t eat, which says to me I need to fuel smarter!)

I hope to see more of you guys out there on future run days, it is a fantastic course, and you will feel awesome afterwards. If anyone has any suggestions to the above thoughts and comments, please post back!

Barry

PS. Don’t worry if you’re not ready for 11 miles yet. Stephens’s course is set up, so you can do as little as 2.5 miles to as many as your little hearts content, so come on out!

No comments:

Post a Comment