Monday, November 3, 2008

Coach as Athlete: Ironman Blues


It happened...I got the Ironman blues. I am inside 3 weeks from Ironman Arizona and I just had a major case of "why am I doing this?"

I have been a triathlete for over 10 years. During that time I have achieved nearly every goal I ever set for myself. It took me a while to win a race, then I won 5 in a row, then a triathlon series in Iowa--2 years in a row. Moving to Missouri I shifted focus to Ironman distance. I won my very first attempt at Lake Geneva Extreme, then a year later I qualified for Kona at Ironman Wisconsin. Indeed I have been blessed in my hard work and successes.

I never seem to have problems meeting the next goal---after a few more ironmans, I focused on ultra-trail-running for 2 years and had competitive success and personal fulfillment there. Then I shifted back to a short course triathlon focus, made it to Worlds, and 2 hours for Olympic Distance.

Which leaves me with a very short list of t0-do's. My Ironman PR was set at Ironman Brazil at 9:37. I absolutely know I am capable of a sub 9:30 and possibliy a whole lot faster than that.

The only problem is I feel there is more to life than these goals. Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely not trade them for anything, but I am getting to the point where I am ready to start a family. I have a thriving fitness training business, but training to the elite level takes so much out of me. I want to put more effort into helping other people, giving to my partner, and feeling balanced again.

Sounds pretty convincing, right? Fortunately several people I shared my thoughts with each gave me a thoughtful, gentle, caring kick in the seat of the pants. I am three weeks out from Arizona and in AWESOME shape. The only thing that can stop me now is myself.

C'mon Steve. Keep it together for 3 more weeks. Then the off-season will be here.....

2 comments:

  1. You go Steve!!! We will be cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to set a new PR! I just know it. You are awesome. Can't wait to hear all about your Ironman experience. Thanks for always keeping me motivated and for being more than a coach. I consider you a friend.
    bt

    ReplyDelete