Thursday, November 20, 2008

Desoto Sport T1 Wetsuits Review

Desoto T1 Wetsuits are awesome.

I am out getting my last open water swim in before Ironman Arizona. This was also my first swim in my new Firstwave wetsuit and it is 37 degrees.


I upgraded to a Firstwave from the Black Pearl model because I really want to do well in this race. To be honest both are awesome. The biggest difference I noticed is that I ordered a size 3 instead of size 4 top. Ironman training will burn off that extra upper body bulk. The new top fit skin-tight and was almost waterproof.




People ask about the benefits of the two-piece wetsuit. First of all Desoto Sport is the only company that makes a two piece wetsuit. I have swam in 5 different brands of wetsuit and raced in 3, and I can tell you that there are at least two ways that Desoto is way off the front of the pack:
1) T1 wetsuits feel the most natural. Whereas most other wetsuits constrict the shoulders and neck, when you swim in a T1 you can use your "normal stroke."
2) Far far easier to get off. I tested this at Memphis in May, where I raced on both Saturday and Sunday. Doubting myself, I wore my old wetsuit for the mountian bike tri on Saturday. Although I came out of the water with the leaders, my placing plummeted because it took me 1:30 to get that other wetsuit. On Sunday I flew thru the transition. Incedentally that was the day I went 1:59:53 for an Olympic distance.


There is no earthly reason not to try a Desoto T1 Wetsuit. They offer a 2-week, no questions asked, full refund return policy. This isn't a manufacturer warranty....this is a "Try it and you'll know its the best" promise. Emilio Desoto--whom I know personally--will gladly eat the restocking cost if you don't love it enough to keep it.

A couple other details:
Black Pearl is the mid-level model, Firstwave is the top tier. Like I said I own both and they are the two best wetsuit models I have ever used.

Mix and Match: You can pair a sleeveless or full sleeve top with whichever bottom you prefer. They also offer the Speed collection for warmer water, and the Smart collection if you are on a shoestring budget.

Read all about T1 wetsuits here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your review! I have decided to get the entry level Smart wetsuit.

    ReplyDelete