Sunday, October 3, 2010

Never Stop Practicing the Fundamentals

Here is a quite funny video that I discovered.  This is from a Triathon World Cup race at the swim-to-bike transition area, where the racers mount their bike and start pedaling.  Notice the total chaos and mayhem that occurs...



As a coach I am often in the position of trying to get my more experienced athletes to practice fundamentals that they believe they have already mastered.  I have watched--painfully--on numerous occasions while these guys and gals make rookie mistakes.  Just like the women in this video--you have to have excellent credentials to participate in a world cup race--and they blotch the transition worse than a beginner. 

This is why I encourage all my athletes...even the ones that think they "have it"...to keep practicing the fundamentals:



I screw up plenty on my own too...I am not perfect...but here is an example of a transition that I did:



Practice practice practice...and when you think you have it, practice some more.


No comments:

Post a Comment