Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Bike Handling and Transition Practice

This is one of my favorite practices because it greatly increases my athletes' skills on the bike.

Here these athletes are practicing full-speed transitions.  For something that can save a few minutes of time in your race, most triathletes wait until race day to ever execute an actual full-speed transition.  I am standing in the road because I direct cyclists and motorists.  I facilitate so you can concentrate on one thing---your training.

This athlete is learning flying mount/dismount transitions with his shoes on the bike.  I am showing how to prepare the shoes so he can "nail it."

Here's Lauryn.  She is a strong swimmer and running, but she is new to cycling.  I am having her do some handling skills on grass.  When you are new to skinny-tires road bikes and bike shoe-clips, a few falls are inevitable.  Build your confidence on a soft surface where the falls are less painful.  I have have already nicknamed her Lau-RUN because she is going to be so fast at triathlons.

No comments:

Post a Comment