Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Mojo Rising

I'm feeling the mojo return. It feels great. Two days ago I took my first running steps where I felt that I have my "legs back." Yes I have been training with my clients for months now, and also training on my own gradually more and more. But I took the first five steps of a run on Tuesday morning, and I felt my stride was back.

A few months ago I did nott want to train, let alone think about signing up for an iron distance race. If you train and race long term it is inevitable that you will feel your motivation and fitness ebb and flow. There is a season for everything--when you have a goal sight, train hard. After your goal, rest up and replenish your mojo. Do not race too much, or in an erratic manner. You will burn out your mojo.


Photo: Mojo gone, disappointed, Ironman AZ 2008.

My mojo was awesome in the middle of last season, and I met many of my goals. But by the end of 2008 I had raced too much. Ironman AZ had been my last race of the year, and one that I had planned to achieve an Ironman PR at. A month out from the race i knew my mojo was gone. I made a legit attempt at my iron distance goal, but lost it on the run.

If you deplete your mojo, you have to give it time to return. the problem that many athletes experience is that they remember what it feels like to be in great fitness. They remember what it felt like to have invincible endurance and speed....awesome mojo. But you can't start your training like that. You have to be patient and start slow. Train gradually, do your training in a nice aerobic zone, and gradually test yourself.

You will know when your mojo is back because your emotions will tell you. You will be energized. You will want to train, and you will want to race.


Photo: Post-race at the Muddy Buddy.

I got a good dose of the adrenaline of competition at the Muddy Buddy last weekend. Susan and I raced hard, and got 2nd overall coed team. Only 3 men's teams beat us. It felt good to go hard, and to do well. I don't like finishing anything less than my potential, and I feel the fitness returning that will allow me to do this.

Actually I am starting to feel AWESOME. Long runs. Long bikes. Swims. Gym workouts and stretching. Disciplined eating and less beer drinking. All of this is allowing my mojo to flow.


Photo: Burning Man.

I am starting to feel like Burning Man in this picture. I have signed up for Beach 2 Battleship a race where many of my clients will compete in their first half iron or iron distance. I can't wait to train with them and to train myself to go fast and hard. This will be perfect for a shot at my iron distance goal.

Oh yes, the mojo is starting to flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment