Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Swimming in the Cumberland

Big news in Nashville Triathlon: The Music City Triathlon is going to be held in downtown Nashville. This race course is going to be absolutely spectacular, with a closed course bike leg and a run around downtown Nashville.

The only complaint that I have heard is that some are wary of swimming in the Cumberland River. The Cumberland is not exactly a pristine, spring-fed lake...but it is safe for swimming.

In fact, I have swam in the Cumberland river at least 25 times in the last year and a half. It is my favorite place around Nashville to open-water swim. First of all it is a totally convenient location. Moreover, it is lined with beautiful green. And the water quality is not perfect, but it is about on par for what you can expect in a triathlon swim.


Photo: Air Forces Special Forces recruits training in the Cumberland.

In fact, I have my triathletes swimming in the Cumberland every 1-2 weeks for open water swimming, all summer long. Last summer I had two young men training for Air Force Pararescue school, and we did LONG swims in the Cumberland.

That is not all. Nashville Metro Council wants you to know that the Cumberland River is improved in terms of water quality. In the picture below, six members of the council and 18 others are swimming across the body of water to demonstrate that it is safe. You can read the full article [link here.]


Photo: Metro Council swimming in the Cumberland.

If you are not physically prepared for the Music City Triathlon in downtown Nashville, contact me and I will coach you to be ready. A new training block begins June 1 [link here.] But if you are worried about the water quality, don't be. The Cumberland is fine for a triathlon.

6 comments:

  1. Why? Why can't the organizers leave this event alone? I have participated 5 of the last 6 years and every year is different. Leave it alone! Swimming in the Cumberland, I don't think so.
    Closed course biking? Ellington is an interstate. Sorry, I'd rather be out in the country. Congrats, Team Magic has killed this event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen, has anyone actually tested the water quality of the Cumberland recently? I've not found published test results anywhere. A few years ago swimming was not allowed for health reasons. I agree with rievler's sentiment. I've done this race since 2003. It used to be a great event with beautiful scenery and a safe course. I'm not sure the changes are for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will attempt to respond to comments here and invite others to do the same....if you disagree please feel free to do so:

    In response to Rievler, I do agree it is a pain when a race changes every year. The best races do the same course every year after year. Percy Priest is penned in by extremely busy roads on all sides, leading to a twisty course with lots of traffic. As a controlled access 4 lane road--that will be closed to all traffic--Ellington will be a simpler and far safer bike course than anything available at the previous venue.

    Biztos, I too would be interested to see some actual testing data. I don't think the city or USAT would allow the race if the river was unsafe. My point in this post is that qualitatively--from my experience and others--the Cumberland is no more dirty than other venues. In fact I have swam in both Percy Priest and the Cumberland in the last month, and the Cumberland smelled and tasted much cleaner.

    This new venue has the potential to be a national-caliber destination race, but it will take time and support to get i to that level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do agree with everyone with respects to races that change venues! However, last year both the Bike & Run courses for the Music city race were not good at all. I was almost hit twice by cars backing out of their driveway and a run course that uses rocky unstable terrain is not safe for the runners. I do think that Team magic has hit a home run with regards to the new location and am very excited to attend and race this event. The only response to the swim course for me would be the thoughts of making it a point to point swim due to the currents. I know the core is shutting down the locks to lessen the current, but a point to point makes more sense and uses the same amount of life guards and safety officials.
    I urge everyone to give this new venue a chance!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did a one hour swim in the Cumberland this morning with a group. The water is cleaner than Percy Priest Lake at Hamilton Marina, and perfect temp. The current will be a factor, swam about 35-40min upstream, and covered the same distance in about 20 min downstream.

    Looking forward to the race. Be ready for the hills of downtown.

    Gray

    ReplyDelete
  6. I work for the Water Department and the river is sampled weekly. I do not know if it is sampled at the point of swim but I know multiple points are sampled.

    ReplyDelete