Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Team Magic Indoor Triathon

Note: Sorry I meant to post this over on my results blog [link here.] But it is posted here now and too much time to re-post it.

Team Magic, as usual, put on a great event with the indoor triathlon. If you plan to "make waves" in spring racing, you should start with an event like this. I decided it would be a good workout and a chance to add a feather to my cap. I was in for a suprise.


Photo: Swim start.


The event started with a 15 minute swim for distance. Even though I haven't been dilligently swim training, I was happy with my 19 1/2 laps. I was only 1/2 lap from the fastest swimmer in my wave.




Photo: Jason Haggard at 130+ rpms.


The bike was a 20 minute spin bike rpm-fest for distance. The only way to go was zero-resistance / max cadence. I may have failed to completely remove the tension from the wheel, for which I would pay later.





Photo: Treadmill run.

On the run leg, I knew I would be able to gain an advantage. It was 20 minutes for the most distance you could cover. This was a good reminder about pacing. After the first couple minutes, I set the speed at 10.2 mph. This felt fast but sustainable, not too hard. As the minutes went by, the effort started to feel harder and harder. I won't lie, I was running very hard for the last 7-10 minutes. I covered 3.4 miles.



Two of my students Fran M. and Melissa M. used this for their first triathlon. They had a great time and they both won their divisions.



Photo: Me, bowing down at Jason H's feet.
I, on the other hand, learned a lesson in humility, and the scoring of indoor triathlons. When the scoring was all added up, Jason H. had narrowly defeated me. Even with my strong showings in the swim and run, his superior bicycle rpms had put his score past mine. It was a lot of fun to compete against my student and friend, and also to get my butt handed to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment